The ASQ Embarks on a Tour of Germany
The Ancora String Quartet looks forward with eager anticipation to our first overseas tour. We’re collaborating with the fabulous mezzo-soprano, Melinda Paulsen, who serves on the voice faculty at the University for Music and Performing Arts in Frankfurt. Together, we’ve selected a program of works by German and American composers, for mezzo and quartet, and for quartet alone.
The program includes the beautiful Wesendonck Lieder by Richard Wagner, Melancholie by Paul Hindemith, Drei Lieder by Victor Ullmann, and Dover Beach by Samuel Barber, as well as the iconic Barber String Quartet.
The quartet will be in Germany from August 17-26, performing at the Rathaus in Nieder-Olm, the Frankfurter Sparkasse, the Chroma School for Music and Dance in Vellmar (north of Kassel), the Evangelical Stadtkirche in Schlitz (halfway between Frankfurt and Kassel), and at the Stiftskirche in St. Goar, on the Rhine. The concert in Vellmar will be a lecture-concert for students, so we’re brushing up on our German!
Following our performances in Germany, we will all return to Wisconsin to perform this same program in concert venues in Germantown, Whitewater, Janesville, Beloit, and Madison, from September 4-9. This will include an appearance on The Midday on WPR with host Norman Gilliland.
We have secured funding from several German organizations, and received generous funding from the Kassel-Dane Sister County Task Force to cover the travel expenses up to the Kassel region.
Melinda and the members of this quartet are thrilled beyond words that this project has taken shape, and we look forward to sharing with our audiences a program exploring the intersections between two cultures that are quite distinct today, but which share deep, common roots.
August 19 – 25: venues in Germany
- Sunday, 8/19 at 6:00 pm at the Rathaus in Nieder-Olm
- Monday, 8/20 at 7:30 pm at the Frankfurter Sparkasse in Frankfurt/Main
- Tuesday, 8/21 at 6:00 pm at the Chroma School for Music and Dance in Vellmar
- Friday, 8/24 at 7:30 pm at the Evangelische Stadtkirche in Schlitz
- Saturday, 8/25 at 6:00 pm at the Stiftskirche in St. Goar
September 4 – 9: venues in Wisconsin
- Tuesday, 9/4 at 7:00 pm at Capitol Lakes Grand Hall, Madison
- Wednesday, 9/5 at 12:00 pm on The Midday on WPR, Madison
- Wednesday, 9/5, at 6:00 pm at Germantown Community Library, Germantown
- Thursday, 9/6 at 7:30 pm at Light Recital Hall, UW-Whitewater
- Friday, 9/7, at 7:30 pm at the Janesville Woman’s Club, Janesville
- Saturday, 9/8, at 7:30 pm at Eaton Chapel, Beloit College, Beloit
- Saturday, 9/9 at 7:30 pm at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, Madison
Melancholie, Op. 13 (1919) Paul Hindemith
Dover Beach (1931) Samuel Barber
Drei Lieder (Three Songs) (1943) Viktor Ullmann
Quartet in B Minor, Op. 11 (1936) Samuel Barber
Wesendonck Lieder, WWV 91 (arr. Stefan Heucke) Richard Wagner